Home Cooked Food
There's lots of debate out there about pot-luck weddings. You'll hear things like they are tacky, if you can't afford to feed your guests, don't have a large reception etc. At first I was really put off by all this opinionated jibber-jabber... but then I thought about the people in our lives and I knew, in my heart of hearts, a pot-luck would be the BEST way to keep the atmosphere "down on the farm".
Hosting a potluck wedding was not a budget decision. We felt it was an amazing way to build community and connection among our friends and family. Each person taking a small piece of their heart and home, putting their small piece together with everyone else's small pieces and creating something big!
And boy was it big! 7 tables filled with good ol' home cookin! Soups, salads, stews, chili, dips, pasta, potatoes, pies, cookies.... oh my!
![]() |
| Here is one out of the 7 tables our family and friends filled with good ol' home cooked food! |
I was I had more food table images to show you, but take my word for it - there was plenty! It was a wonderful way to include our guests, provide a huge variety of dishes to eat and everyone was MORE than happy to contribute. Our guests really put in a lot of effort in making sure the dish they brought to share was from the heart... and we couldn't have asked for anything more.
However, we didn't feel right asking everyone to provide the entire meal, so we were setup with a few basics such a 125lb. hog to roast and 10 chickens to go in the smoker after the pig was done. The pig roast was hosted by Paul King of Two Drunks and a Pig. I can't seem to find a link to him as he was referred to use by the butcher we used - Sherman Provisions - when I do, I'll update the post.
![]() |
| sorry! I don't like this photo much either :) but MAN was the pig good! |
Dessert - my favorite part of any meal
As for the dessert, my mother took care of researching a small bakery and soliciting their yummy baking skills. We ended up using Rosy Girl Baked Goods out of Lakewood, Ohio. I would LOVE to tell you how devine her cupcakes were, but honestly, I didn't even get one! I was so busy visiting, dancing, laughing and loving, that by the time I got around to the cupcake table, they were all gone! So, if you need a testament to their yummy-ness, I'd say that's it!
Here is a list of cupcake flavors we chose:
- Pumpkin Cupcake with Maple Syrup Cream Cheese Frosting
- Apple Walnut Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Salted Caramel Cupcake
- Vanilla Almond Cupcake with Blackberry Buttercream
- Raspberry & Blueberry Ricotta Almond Cupcake with Cream Cheese Frosting
![]() |
| And our beautiful cake topper was handforged by our very good friend and soul brother Clark Martinek of Tough and Twisted Blacksmithing. |
Need proof? Here's a quick shot from our "cake cutting".... yes, that's a spatula and yes, it's about 2AM when we finally made it to the cake table. hahaha!!! But, as you can see, the cupcake table is empty. Looks like Rosy Girl Bakery hit it spot on!









No comments :
Post a Comment