-->

Monday, January 21, 2013

How to Dye Your Petticoat!

Image : Boko Photo

From day 1, I knew I wanted to dye my petticoat for our farm wedding! I just love the colored crinolines you see all over pinterest and paired with my signature cowboy boots, well.... let's just say, it has "me" written all over it!

I started with some research on fabric dyes (specifically for polyester - I bought two run-of-the-mill petticoats on eBay for $15 each - one to dye and one "just in case!") and decided that good ol' Rit Dye was what I wanted. And after combing through their gorgeous Color Formula Guide, I found a formula for a purple that seemed like it would match Olivia's dress.

Image : Boko Photo


I decided it was going to take 2 8oz. bottles of Royal Blue, 1 8oz. bottle of Wine color, my step-sister's help and a few Blue Moon's to get the job done!


left : Royal Blue   right: Wine


First we color tested a corner of the back-up petticoat according to the directions on the back of the bottle. I mixed the exact formula I got from the Color Formula Guide and let the petticoat soak.  I'm pretty impatient as a rule, so I decided that this was good enough for me. Whatever shade the final color, it's definitely going to be purple.


So moving on to the scary basement....



I then used the utility sink in the laundry area (a bathtub or deep kitchen sink might work if you don't have a laundry sink) and wet the petticoat before putting it in the machine. I followed the instructions on the Rit bottle and set my washing machine to its hottest temperature and poured in 3 bottles of Rit Dye - 2 Royal Blue and 1 Wine. I let the washer agitate to mix in the dye and then using RUBBER GLOVES, I pushed the petticoat down inside until it was completely under water. 

As the wash cycle was coming to an end, I'd lift the lid to stop the machine and using RUBBER GLOVES, I maneuvered the soaking wet petticoat around in the dye water to help untangle and unwind. It gets really turned around in there and unless you want a tie-dye effect (which I actually considered btw) it's best to keep untwisting as you go.  

Then I turned the washer setting back several times to let it wash in the dye. The longer is soaks, the darker it'll be. After the third time I let the washer complete it's cycle, rinse and spin. 

Once the washer was finished, using RUBBER GLOVES, I pulled the petticoat out of the machine. It was DARK! and I was a little nervous.... but the only thing to do was since it out and see what I got!



So, I took it back to my bathroom shower to rinse it with cold water until it ran clear. Rinse, twist, rinse, squeeze. Repeat. .... for like 20 mins! Be prepared, it's really hard! My arms felt like rubber when we were done!

I then let it air dry over night and here's the final color!







And some images from the wedding.....  You'll see I also added several layers of color to the underneath of my dress.  I worked with Stitch Cleveland to replace the white tulle and netting already on my dress, with a cream tulle and chocolate brown netting.  I absolutely love the finished result!

Image : Boko Photo


Image : Boko Photo


Image : Boko Photo

Image : Boko Photo

If you decide to do this on your own, just remember one thing : WEAR RUBBER GLOVES!




1 comment :

  1. WOW your petticoat looks awesome, especially with the cream and chocolate!! I think I am going with peaches and purples for mine. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...