I run an art studio at home, I help Gavin run his shop and do art shows, we have a real 11 year old that keeps us real, we have backyard parties almost every night (even if it's just the 3 of us), we go see music, we go to street fairs, I hoop, Gavin tries new grill recipes, Olivia rides her scooter and chases the cat, and we are constantly working on DIY projects around the house. We camp, we have friends, we have family we love and above all else, we're so grateful it's always CRAZY BUSY here in the studio!
| print by designspiration.net |
However, I really struggle with sharing all these joyous events and experiences in my life because chances are, there are about 90+ people waiting to hear back from me on any given day - wether it's a message in Etsy, a first draft proof, revisions or a tracking number.... they are waiting and the gift they ordered has a deadline.
| image from designspiration.net |
It feels like a double edge sword. If I blog and share these things, then the people waiting are left with the potential impression that I'm not working - which I am, I assure you! Both Gavin and I (and now Olivia throughout the summer) put in many many hours a day. A short and easy day around here is about 10 hours - a long day (usually a print run and shipping) is about 18 hours. Don't get me wrong, we have fun while doing it (it's an art studio, isn't it?) so an 18 hour day, 3 times a week is just.... what we do!
| print by marykatemcdevitt.com |
So I want to know.... if I blog about all the cool things we do in our "off" time, does it appear that we're not working to all the people that are waiting for a response from me?
I would greatly appreciate you thoughts.
If you have don't have balance you do everyone an injustice...especially you and your family. Some people only work, and miss so much of what life has to offer. Some people only play and miss the satisfaction of what hard work rewards you with. Sounds like you've got it all. :)
ReplyDeleteIn the spirit of sharing, here's an email I received in response to this blog post:
ReplyDelete"I agree with the last comment- completely! I would only add that there is a very real part of running an arts based business that is impossible to quantify in terms of tasks or time. That part has to do with creative energy. What we do isn't simply making things- it's CREATING AND making things. It just draws a certain energy from you that needs to be refuled.
Sometimes a great way to recover and recoup is to play- it gives you just that energy bump that you need to keep your art fresh and the details of your transactions all in order!
I would so much rather know that you are living a good life- the life that you want and that you created, than to think that you are miserable, chained to your studio! In the short time that I have known you- you have really inspired me and wouldn't you know it- now my life is starting to be more of what I want it to be! I needed to know that it was possible and you showed me that it IS! Blog on!!!"
Thank you so much for your encouraging words, dear friend! xo