Week 3 with Lilla was all about the Children's Book Market. Though this seems like a very difficult market to break into, I've found the most wonderful thing is there is so much room for style and interpretation - which is beautiful!
To get us warmed up, Lilla wanted us to draw snails and work on lettering the words snail, rose and tree. I had no idea where this was going to eventually lead us, for the warm-up I played. :)
"They" say that if you want to work in this market and you've never been commissioned to illustrate a book, a way to grow your portfolio is by taking the time to illustrate a spread from well known fairytales or fables.
After the mini-assignment, Lilla assigned us the Snail and the Rose Tree by Hans Christen Andersen. I went through many different ideas, revisions, color palettes etc. I almost ALMOST thought I wasn't going to complete the assignment. I was almost in tears. However, after reading and rereading (and rereading) the story, I found myself laughing at the irony of the ending. So, I decided to illustrate the ending and it all came together....
What is the expression? The smallest violin playing the saddest song in the world....
In the end, although I had a wonderful time designing these two pieces, I'll have to think long and hard about illustrating a children's book if I ever get asked.



No comments :
Post a Comment