-->

Monday, June 17, 2013

Make Art that Sells : Week 2

Week 2 was nothing short of amazing - again! This week is focusing on Home Decor and our assignment was to create a dinner plate collection using florals and organic elements such as seed pods.

Here's my solution to the assignment. I spent 3 days illustrating many various organic elements and making sure each one was just right, even if it stood on it's on. The after compiling them into a pattern, I broke the elements apart and created a two sets of dinnerware - one traditional and one with a more modern style.






Feedback from my classmates leaned toward the modern collection however in the end, when it came down to picking which one plate (yes! just one!) after much debate, I decided to override their preference… in the most friendliest way, of course! I submitted one from the traditional collection but I compromised and chose the white background which is what everyone stated they loved. (gotta listen to the people!) To me, the modern designs felt like they would be great melamine plates at Target or something - which would be fab! - but I designed the traditional collection with a more elegant and high end purpose. I just love the femininity and nostalgia of a porcelain plate and, in my own way, it was my goal to capture that. Plus, I worked my butt off on those!

Here is the final design I submitted:



This, again, was a wonderful project with lots learned. I stepped out of my color comfort zone (notice? no blues!) and really took the time to come up with well designed icons and motifs. I'd say it paid off! I'm very happy to add these to my portfolio and I hope someday, they become real plates!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...