-->

Monday, January 9, 2012

Finding my balance

I think I’m on a never ending quest to find balance! Balance between work and life are always difficult and I know I'm not the only one who struggles with that (I am getting better at it though) but balance within my working time as well.
For me it’s all about scheduling, understanding at what time I do different tasks better and in being flexible.  If a new idea comes up it’s important to at the very least take time out to jot down some notes and sketches in a journal so that I can explore it later. If I’m really inspired and some other tasks can be put off for a little bit, I’ll continue going with that creative flow and see where it takes me. In an ideal world I also have some creative play time scheduled in weekly, though in reality I have to pull some pretty late nights if I'm going to explore a new idea.


However, in the studio, I have to keep both feet on the ground and handle all those business and admin tasks that actually help make the money.



It's hard to run your own business when you're a creative type because the urge to create is quite often greater than the urge to... balance your books?  ha!  You can say that again!  So, in order to overcome this, I try to schedule my time so that I work on business and admin tasks in the morning when I’m feeling less creative - email, reply to Etsy convo's, bookkeeping and back accounts - which leaves me time in the late afternoon and into the night to get create and fill orders or work on new design ideas. My post-it notes (god I love post-its) and to-do lists are my best friends. I know there are many online time management tools out there, but I love the process of handwriting and crossing off my lists. Same with my calendar - I have to write it down.  Entering into iCal don't register - maybe because I'm right brained.  Besides, what would doodle on if I didn't use post-it's and a real calendar?

All in all, as each day happens I grow, change, learn and find just a bit better balance than I did the day before.  I guess that's kind of the point.  Life isn't always going to give me the same situation each day so I have to adapt , be flexible and evolve with my business and my designs.





All this leads right into this weeks Music Monday selection: Gillian Welch, David Rawlings and Old Crow Medicine show - The Weight.  I can't help but feel serenity when I hear this collection of fantastic musicians bellow.




Happy Monday!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...