So, I made slight mention of it earlier and I haven't really gotten around to telling you about it - I'm taking this class. It's call the Art and Business of Surface Pattern Design. The goal here is to learn pattern and how to create your own label as a business around designing patterns, licensing your designs and having them put on products such as... oh goodness, just look around you!! There is pattern and surface design everywhere! Lamp shades, binders, notebooks, folders, paper products, fabrics, wallpaper, accessories, dishes and dish sets, mugs, tea towels etc.
So far in class we've been working on finding inspiration and loosening up. Which is HUGELY what I need right now. I've been working strictly digital whether it be marketing and advertising design, web design, digital illustration as JukeboxArt or my latest series as Cloudless Skies. I found when I started this class that I was feeling very tense about what I was drawing. After all, I haven't put "pencil to paper" in a very long time.
Here's one of my first sketches from an early exercise:
I like it and all, but this was very conscience and deliberate.
Next I started working with a paint brush and black ink. The goal is to make marks that can be easily translated by Illustrator and have multiple uses based on scale, fill, outline, rotation, combination etc. Here's the result of a few of my mark making exercises and what happened when I manipulated them digitally:
So fun! I can't even imagine where all of this inspiration is going to lead. The ideas and possibilities are endless. Time will time.....








No comments :
Post a Comment