I'd like you meet Michael and his imagination called Corpse Head. Michael is an illustrator who has found his nitch bringing to us what we all fear most.... that thing under the bed! Michael offers his imaginative illustrations on functional products such as apparel, mugs, journals, poster prints and much more.
Have a read and head on over to his store to get the goods: http://www.cafepress.com/freakinout3
Please tell me a little bit about yourself and what you create.
I grew up on a freeway a little outside of Norristown. I didn't have that many neighborhood friends cause I really didn't have a neighborhood. I had to seek out other children to hang out with. I was a short, small, quiet, meek, shy, little guybwho was totally unsure of himself. I used to hang out at 7-11's playing coin operated arcade games during the 80's, and ride my bicycle around the neighborhood finding stuff to do like stickball. I didn't start to draw until grade school. I was totally inspired by comic books, and M.A.D magazines, and so forth.What brought you to creating, and when did you start?
I started to draw when I was little to get attention in class. I wasn't very popular so I did everything I could to shine out. Although most of the work I created during grade school was teachers, and dungeon and dragons, spy vs. spy, and other cartoons. It wasn't until high school did my teacher tell me I should go to college to nurture my talents. I used to draw alot of skulls, and she said I would out grow it, but I never really did. It only got worse when I graduated. I drew day of the dead skeletons, death scenes, etc. I also drew topics that aren't really touched by other local artists. I used to get some guff my random people who say I should draw what people want, and do stuff more mainstream. I remember on lady I met in high school told me drawing skulls meant "Satanism". This is the crap I was up against. How would you describe the style of your work? Does it reflect your personal style?
I have done lots of styles, and techniques, but what I remember before I went to the University is that I had a knack for drawing black and white bold graphic images. This is what I love to draw, and it comes natural to me. Bold and graphic. The things I like most to draw, are skulls, trolls, devils, skeletons, gnomes, freaky faces, and strange looking women.
I’ve noticed that unusual characters appear often in your work. What is it that draws you to them?
When I draw I think how I can debouch the world, or express anger, and menacing faces. I don't want to be nice in my work, and I want to be original and exciting, and challenging to the reader. You only live once, you might as well be recognized for something new and strange. I like weird.
When someone is viewing your work for the first time, what do you hope they’ll see in it?
Something new and exciting. Something they haven't seen before. It's a shame some people just criticize it for being dark, or they think it's a cry for help. (ha, ha)
Do you have artistic talents in other areas?
I can play music, and songwriting as well. I was involved in musical projects when I was in my late teens early twenties, and since I have been trying to recreate, or finish the musical journey that had begun in the late 80's. I tried to bring gloom back into songwriting. The problem with that is that gloom in local music is not widely accepted anymore. Mainstream songwriting is very popular nowadays.
What do you listen to while you work? While you don’t work?
I listen to many different musical artists. I am a big Nick Cave fan, and a big post punk, early 80's goth music fan. I love world music as well. Gypsy flamenco music inspired me to draw "day of the dead" skeletons. Nick Cave inspired me to draw really dark scenes, and comics. His early band called "The Birthday Party", really made me do some really touchy subjects.
What’s a fun fact most readers don’t know about you?
That I am not the snivelling desperate grieving wimp that they think I am. I love life, and I love what I do. I stand up for my achievements, and my beliefs. I'd rather get my ass kicked standing up for myself, and that I am unutterably full of shit sometimes.
Where can we find your work? [website, shops, etc.]
You can find my life's work at my website at:
MichaelDOraziosGallery.com
There I have books and cd's for sale, and I also have an online shop
on CafePress at: http://www.cafepress.com/freakinout3
Quite impressive! Thanks for all your time and good luck with your future endeavors. :)



Awesome interview with Michael, Brooke. I always love interviews with artist...love to pick their brains. ;-P
ReplyDelete