-->

Monday, January 18, 2010

How I Handle All My Crazy

For those of you that follow, you know that JukeboxART is one of many hats I wear when living a day in my life.  I'm also a full-time graphic designer, I freelance side jobs for a little extra moola and I'm a single parent to a spunky-fiesty-crazy-cool 9yr old who rocks my world and keeps me grounded!  Somethings got to, right?

So, being that I am mentally in many places at once (I'm still working on physically being in several places at once.  When I get that figured out, I'll list it in my Etsy shop or something!) I thought I'd share some of my tips and tricks for getting through the day because I know I can't be the only one with a crazy life and WAY too many responsibilities. :)

First, I'm a Post-in Note aficionado.  I LOVE those things!  They are are stuck everywhere.  My computer monitor, off the shelf next to my desk, the outside of my wallet, the back of my phone, the dashboard in my car,  cabinets, mirrors, doors, you name it!  I use them to keep track of songs as they float in and out of my head since I live to my own internal soundtrack.  I use them for positive affirmations and status I wish to post on facebook or twitter but can't because I don't have access right then and there.

Second, I LOVE gmail.  Seriously, it's got to be one of the best (free) email systems out there.  Tip?  Use labels.  They are wonderful.  It only takes but a second to "tag" an email with a label that makes sense to you so when you need something, just filter by label.  Really, I must get 30-50 emails a day and its a life saver when you need to quick reference a previous conversation or link. (And don't forget to use Google Docs too!) www.google.com



Third, Evernote.  What I do without thee?  If you haven't checked it out yet, go to www.evernote.com and check an account ASAP.  Then use the web clipper and add it to your tool bar.  Now you can capture anything and keep filed away for safe keeping.  As the website says, "Chances are, if you can see it or think of it, Evernote can help you remember it."  They even have an iPhone app too!
www.evernote.com


Fourth, Outright.  I just signed up for Outright which is supposed to be simple bookkeeping online.  I decided to give it a shot and see how diligent I really am.  I have to manually enter each sale, which I like because most of my sales are not web based, and then I can add my expenses too.  Previously I'd been using trusty ol' Excel but I'm constantly on the go and so when I remember that I spent $19.99 on ink for the screenprinter, I need to log it.  Now.  Hence the switch to an online bookkeeping system.  I can access it where ever I'm at, when ever I need to.
www.outright.com


Fifth, let's talk personal finances.  Yep, you know, that thing people are always so hush hush about.  Well, we all receive it and we all spend it so keep track of it!  You guessed it, online.  My first attempt was to use Mint.com.  But Mint seems to have an issue with accepting my bank and receiving data.  I've read way too many complaints in the forums about lock outs, calling customer service to have my online account unlocked.... no thank you!  So, I figured, Mint can't be the only brains in the online money management game and I did a little research.  I settled on using Thrive.  Thrive will take a look at your financial patterns by importing data from your bank account (100% secure) and then:
  • They will create realistic spending goals in the area where you spend most.
  • Help you lower credit card debt by creating a payoff schedule and help you calculate ways to get out of debt faster.
  • Tell you how much you can afford to save every month and help you create a plan to reach your goal.
  • They show you an over-all financial health score. 
  • Understand where your money is going to better manage your spending.
  • Every bill you pay and purchase you make is automatically categorized to help better allocate your funds.
I am impressed.  Again, I hope I'm diligent enough to take full advantage of what they offer.
www.justthrive.com



Sixth, my calendar and the reminders!!!  Now I'm a mac user, through and through.  I have a 20" imac at home, a 24" imac at work, iPod's out the wazoo and my iPhone.  So, my calendar just gets synched across the board and everything is there.  I don't know about all of you, but my calendar is filled with nontraditional calendar things.  Sure I have my daughters ice skating lessons logged, doctors appointments etc. but I also like to log things like:
  • Renew Etsy item - this I have set for different days at different times to keep my listings fresh.
  • Drop check in the mail - reminders set for 2days and 1 day before the actual event because I'm a procrastinator
  • Post on my Blog (though I'm getting better about that)
  • Smile today! For real, I promise.  Put that in your calendar as a recurring event and forget you did it.  I guarantee you'll smile when the little alarm goes off.
  • Send Invoice
  • Birthdays
  • Give my daughter a card to tell her I love you
  • Call grandmother
  • Don't forget to breathe!

You know, those sorts of things.  At first I felt like I was cheating; come on, don't forget to breathe?!?!?, but really it's not cheating, it's remembering and that's what counts!
www.apple.com


Lastly, I just want to say, that even with all these going on; Etsy, social networking, prepping for shows, making clients happy, making my boss happy, creating art!, logging finances, labeling emails, research, tutorials, jamming out in the car, packaging work, lots of trips to the post office etc. the single most important way to handle all the crazy everyday gives you is to enjoy your family. 

I wasn't always so good at this in the past and with my leaf turned over this year, I am dedicated to giving more time to my daughter and less to those pesky Post-it Notes. (sorry 3M)

7 comments :

  1. That is all so organized and well thought-out! I'm amazed really...and there are good tips in there that I would like to follow. But the question is...with all that going on...did you remember to transfer the clothes from the washer to the dryer? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! I left out the part about writing on the back of my hand to remember such things...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for giving Thrive a shot! Let us know if you run into any trouble.

    Happy Saving!
    Elisa@Thrive

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, thanks Elisa. Good to know you guys are out there and paying attention. Makes my decision feel even more sound. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought I'd have a couple of suggestions to add, but honestly it sounds like you have it covered. Really.
    As many times as I attempt to be organized and productive, it seems like i'm still rushing around in the morning and making lunches 15 minutes after I should have left the house.
    Kudos to you for finding (making) the time for everything in your life...especially that spunky 9-year old!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're enjoying Outright. Web-based bookkeeping is awesomely handy, isn't it? Be sure to drop by our new Outright Q&A Community if you end up with any questions about the system or deductions and the like, and good luck with JukeboxART!

    (Btw, I too owe my life to Google products. If Google were to go down for a day, you'd probably find me under my desk in a fetal position!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Jennifer. So far, it's been a piece of cake! But thanks for the tip - I'll keep it mind.

    Hahaha! Can you imagine? What would the world be without Google? I hope we never have to know! :/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...