As a child, I played in the woods but always dreamed of a playground.
True story. So, when the brief for Lilla Roger's Global Talent Search was released, I was a bit panicked. Not that I haven't ever played on a playground but I honestly thought that drawing a playground scene was too... expected? Please don't get me wrong, I've seen many of the entries for this contest and boy, there are some
I went all out and stretched myself on this one. Here's my thoughts process:
- First, the color palette is different for me. I don't work in pinks... ever. It was a nice change and something I'll probably do more going forward.
- I really worked with patterns here. I've been creating on and off for the #365patterns group on Instagram and I've found I really enjoy using the patterns I create as an element of my illustration. I created four patterns for this piece (swatch palette and all!) and used them thoughtfully throughout.
- This is my first piece with hand drawn typography. Yes, that's really my handwriting! Cool, huh? I tend to be a bit of a typography geek (a hoarder of fonts, if you will) and really enjoy a well chosen typeface - one that sets a mood and perfectly coincides with the design it's representing. It actually brings me joy and much satisfaction. So, stretching my mind to envision the type, rather than be presented with options, was really difficult but quite satisfying as well! I'm going to keep working on this....
- And (confession time!) I haven't illustrated characters in close to 10 years! I thought this was the perfect time to let her out and set her free! It's such an eye opener to notice that after all this time, my style of characters is very consistent. I've never done faces, even going back to the way I drew as a child. I've always loved the idea "concept and context have the power to create a feeling that isn't pre-determined by an expression". that's the first time I've ever tried to explain it... does it make any sense? I have a feeling that I should do faces if I want to really license out characters in a commercial market. Eh, as Scarlett says, "I can't think about that right now. If I do, I'll go crazy. I'll think about that tomorrow."
- As for my idea on the finished printed and bound journal, I really love the cover being real blonde wood (maybe as an eco line?) to reinforce the idea of the forrest and playing in nature.
- Though I didn't see the concept until later in the process, I love that her "big dream" is as simple as a playground horse on a spring. Nothing fancy. Just good wholesome fun.
So there you have it! I wish everyone who entered the best of luck!!!
--
:: all images, concept and content copyright 2013, Brooke Witt Art & Design, LLC ::

No comments :
Post a Comment