-->

Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Putting the "fun" in functional - the start of my new studio

Blame it on the spring-like weather, blame it on my restlessness or blame my customers for tripling my sales in a short 6 months, but the fact is, I need a new studio space and FAST!

There are 3 of us (myself, Olivia and Gavin) occupying a 2 bedroom duplex in the heart of Cleveland Heights, Ohio - which I love, by the way.  But in order to keep costs low and production high, I need to keep the studio at home so I can continue to juggle my parenting/girlfriending life with my designing/entreprenuaring life.

Right now the studio is in the sunroom off the living room : great little 8' x 6' space but definitely NOT meeting my needs.  Plus, all the boxes and boxes of shipping supplies spill out into the living room which makes my house feel like we are getting ready to move! Which we are not.  

So, after a few long talks with Gavin on how to better repurpose our tiny setup into something more efficient, we decided to swap the bedroom and current studio.  


not to scale

When you think about it, we spend very little time sleeping around here and very much time working.... so why does the larger space get used less?  Why do we cram ourselves and this flourishing line of design work in a teeny tiny space?  Your answer is as good as mine!  The little sunroom will fit our bed and a dresser and there's a big closest off the living room that once I have that yard sale I keep talking about, that will be free for our clothes.  Yes, it'll be cold in here in the winter, but that's what snuggling is for. 



So, with the idea of a new work space on the horizon, I've been very in tune to the functionality of our work space. I'm paying attention to the flow that works for us, what is not currently working and what a possible solution might be.

I went looking on Pinterest for inspiration on furniture layout, storage solutions and desk setups for 2 people sharing one space. I also found several diy projects to tackle that would help us come up with some custom solutions. 

Here are the studio/office spaces I fell in love with!! Each image has a piece of what I need for a more efficient and functional space as well as the kind of vibe I'll be able to do my best work in. 

houzz.com
designsponge.com
younghouselove.com
designboom.com
apartmenttherapy.com
I've got a long laundry list of "needs" in this studio so we'll have to see how creative Gavin and I can get in the setup!

More on my studio revamp to come over the next few weeks!! So stoked!

Do you have a Pinterest board or an office setup at home you want to share?  I'd love for your ideas!


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...