-->

Monday, April 2, 2012

How to Choose and Mat and Frame for your 8"x10" image

I often get asked to recommend matting and framing options for my standard 8x10 prints. The cost of custom framing can be way too expensive for those of us who like to be frugal plus I'm a do-it-youselfer and you can be too!  Here is my advice on how to mat and frame a picture of standard size.


The most common size I offer in my shop is a standard 8x10 print, so let's work with that.  Remember, I always include a white boarder for handling purposes. The printed area is a 8"x10".
Once your personalized Near&Dear piece has arrived safe and sound in it's sturdy mailer you should head to your local craft store to pick out a frame and matting. Craft stores like Michaels, A.C. Moore, Jo-Ann Fabrics etc. have a great selection of frames and matting options. I'm also a supporer of your local arts and crafts store, so please check there as well!



Choosing a Mat


Mats come in a variety of colors with a few options such a double matting.  A single mat is only one mat board that is cut to reveal the artwork. A double mat has both an outer mat and an inner mat. The outer mat shows the most color and is closest to the glass of the frame. The inner mat only shows 1/4 inch frame around the window openings of the mat.






It is up to your personal preference to decide which mat color and style you prefer. 


Here is what I recommend for choosing your mat size:
  • For an 8x10 print I recommend picking out an 11x14 frame.  

There are other options available but for something standard and fool proof work within those dimensions.

You mat packaging will read:

 11x14 Mat sized to fit 8" x 10" Photograph

However depending on the brand, it might also say:

11x14 Outer,  7 5/8" x 9 5/8" Inner 


 

These dimensions are actually more accurate as the inner cut of the mat is made slightly smaller than 8"x10" as there is a slight over hang where you mat covers the printed area of your design.  

Choosing a Frame

After you've decided on a mat, head over to the frames where a variety of frames are available. The frame you choose is again, completely your personal choice.  Purchasing a frame should be easy.  All you're going to look for is a frame size that is equal to your mat size.  So if you picked out an 11"x14" mat, choose an 11"x14" frame.  Frames are generally sold by the dimensions of the glass, not the dimensions of the molding that make up the frame. 

For example both of these would be an 11x14 frame because the inner dimensions are the same.


I hope that helps!  I'm currently working on a video that shows you how to properly assemble and hang your piece. More to come on that over the next few weeks!

A few other tips: 
  1. Use archival quality materials.
  2. Always wash your hands and work surface BEFORE assembling your piece.
  3. Use glass cleaner on the inside of your glass but remember to let it dry completely!
  4. Remember that frames are meant to COMPLIMENT your photograph. Don’t let the frame overwhelm the image.


And if any of this seems overwhelming or you just don't have time, you can always upgrade your order and add a mat and frame to purchase!

Enjoy!!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...