Throughout 2010, I'm going to feature an artist/crafter/designer each month because I just can't help but admire and drool over so many of the talented people I come across day in and day out. I believe the encouragement and support from within our own community is essential for growth and of course good vibes.
So first up I'd like to share with you the makings of JBird's Garden. JBird's Garden is a line of beautifully constructed handcrafted jewelry made by none other than my own mother! That's right, we keep it in the family! Here are the highlights of her interview:
Well after 30 years away, I’ve returned to my roots of Cleveland, Ohio by way of Virginia, Colorado and Pennsylvania. I’ve always had a bit of difficulty keeping my hat hung in one particular place and wasn’t sure this was going to be it. But so far, the grown-up me really likes the area which is surprisingly rich in the arts and culture. Just have to get through those Cleveland winters!
Since moving back here the focus on my creative self has shifted and I discovered a love, a passion really, for metals in jewelry form. After several attempts to find my ‘nitch’ and after playing around with several mediums I discovered natural brass, and the journey began.
What brought you to creating, and when did you start?
I think I’ve always created in one way or another. When I was a kid my father would bring me home discarded telephone cable that had beautiful colored wires inside. I would strip the outer layer and use the colored thin wire to make twirling, spiral rings and bracelets. They were such a hit that kids at school were placing orders! I recently found a blog that featured these amazing artistic bowls made from the same telephone wire. It w as far cry from my tiny little rings but it did take me back to that time.
After that it was Sand Terrarium Art in the 70’s, Balloon Animals in the 80’s (don’t ask…I was a clown for a short period of time), Dried Flower Arrangements in the 90’s, Silver and Bead Jewelry into the 21st century, with the focus shifting to vintage-inspired jewelry today.
It’s funny, because I haven’t really considered the type of jewelry I create to necessarily reflect my personal style. I think more so it reflects this vision I have of a gentler and more romantic time. Some people would say that it is completely opposite of how I present myself and that may be true, but I guess there is this ultra-feminine, timeless side of me that peeks out through my work.
I’ve noticed that brass, copper and pearls appear often in your work. What is it that draws you to them?
I think first and foremost it’s a sensory thing. I love the coolness of the natural brass, the smoothness of the pearls, the sparkle of the crystals and even the smell of the copper. I love texture and how when I am creating each new piece all my senses come alive, how they all work in unison. I love that. Of course the combination of colors and how the pairing of certain shades or hues can completely change a piece. I find this exciting because no matter the design I might originally have in mind, I never know how a piece will turn out until I find that perfect (or not so perfect) color combination.
I suppose what I hope is they see themselves. I want them to notice a piece amongst my work that speaks to them, or one that they feel identifies them. However I am always thrilled when someone picks up one of my pieces and runs their fingers over it. I what them to touch what I create, to look at the artistic design and detailed work involved, and to discover its texture and beauty
Do you have artistic talents in other areas?
Alas…but I must leave that to other members of my family.
Why do you believe that supporting handmade and the indie arts community is important?
I think it’s essential to support handmade! Handmade products are true gifts from the heart. Each and every handmade item has a story, each one comes with a dream. They are inspired by and encouraged by simple living, small wonders and hope. I am in awe of the creative mind, the creative process and these amazing people who have a vision and a desire to be ‘seen’ and heard through their craft.
What’s a fun fact most readers don’t know about you?
For those us interested in more, where can we find your work?
Let’s see, like 1.8 other Etsy members I have a shop there:
I have a blog that I try REALLY hard to keep updated:
I also have shops with www.funkyfinds.com and www.1000markets.com
I have ad space in the Handmade Gift Guide, the Handmade Craft Show and am a member of the Cleveland Handmade Etsy Team.
And of course I can always be found on Facebook.






Thank you for the interview and for allowing me to be the first featured artist! Nice how you got your neck in there. :)
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to seeing who's next!
JBird
PS - That's 1.8 MILLION Etsy members. Yikes!